Tuesday, May 18, 2010

What I did this morning

So it's 7:45 am here and I've already had an awesome morning. Today
(and last night) is the Feast of Weeks or Shavu'ot. It celebrates God
giving the Law to the People, and also the sacrificing of the first
fruits of harvest. Here people celebrate by going to the Western Wall
and reading the Torah through out the night and day.

The Western Wall was part of the parameter wall around the Temple
built by Herod from 20BC to 20AD. The stones building it range from 4
tons to 40, and as the Romans were tearing down the Temple they
basically got to this part and decided it wasn't worth it. It's been
cleaned up since then. Apparently people don't really call it the
Wailing Wall anymore because times have changed and Israel possesses
more of the city. There is still some crying there, but there isn't
the rising and falling moanig that I heard about.

We got to go up to the wall yesterday, which was really very powerful
for me. We heard that people would be gathering there for the festival
and that if we wanted to get in we'd have to go around 4 in the
morning. So I basically didn't question question if I was going or not
I was just going. A group of about 6 of us got up at 3 (jet lag helped
take the edge off) and walked over. It wasn't crazy when we got there
but by 5:30 it was getting really busy. There were a lot of men in
different complicated traditional dress, little kids running around,
and women in long skirts. People were singing and talking, mostly in
Hebrew and English, chatting, reading, and praying. It was chilly that
early. We could have worked our way up to the wall, but we had been
there the day before and we didn't want to impose, so we just sat back
and watched people move around.

It's incredible and unreal to be here. I want to remember this forever.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren! I am having trouble figuring out your time zone. It is Wednesday morning here so I think you are sleeping. It all sounds amazing and I the picture really does say a thousand words. Do they still bring first fruit offerings? You will remember it forever - what an experience. I love you & you are in my prayers! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aunt Julie, it's Lauren. Weirdly, I've had a little trouble responding to comments. Half the page is in Hebrew for me! It is Wwdnesday here and it was Wednesday morning when I posted this. They don't bring first fruits anymore since there is no Temple and altar for sacrifice anymore, just part of the parameter wall. People still go there to pray and read the Torah (first five books of the Bible) but the whole sacrificing system is out for now. It's great to share with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely remarkable, Lauren. I'm sure I'd feel the same way staring at the weight of history and the partaking of a culture older than anything you could compare it to... this, really, is how faith comes alive. I'm very happy for you to see this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds awesome and very exciting! Have you gotten to wear your hat yet? :)

    ALSO. Mom made her own little blog page by herself! She never needed help and she uploaded her default herself too-- I thought you would be as proud as I was haha :)

    Hope everything continues to go as well as it already has!

    Love,
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren that must have been absolutely amazing and moving and wonderful to be within those walls and watching all that was going on. The picture was wonderful. We are thinking of you and you are on our lips and in our hearts. I look forward to checking this...comforting to hear from you and interesting to see what you are seeing. All good at home. Kev found his lost phone! luv you. xoxo Mum

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, it's Lauren again. Great job settig up your page Mom, I'm impressed! It's great to hear from you all.

    A few technical corrections are bothering me. Herod's Temple took 46 years to build so those dates aren't exactly correct. Also the largest stone is 40 *feet long* and weighs over 500 tons. So those are some changes. I'm sorry if there are other mistakes, I'm not verifying with wikipedia. :P

    again great to hear from you guys! Love, Lauren

    ReplyDelete