Sunday, May 23, 2010

Week 1 completed

Hi everyone

Today we have our first of three exams in Israel, showing we've gotten
through the first third of the material here. We've been assured the
test will be managable, but Phillips isn't one to give out easy As.

Yesterday I got up early with some people (as you saw) and went to the
Church ofthe Hily Sepucher again for their Sunday morning services.
There were services going on everywhere. Catholic Latin mass, an
Arabic Coptic service, then a Catholic mass in English and what we
think was an Armenian orthodox procession and Mass. All of them going
on one on top of the other in different chapels and venues. You could
walk around and take your pick.

After that I did feel like going to one standard English speaking
service so I joined the group going to St. Andrews Church of
Scottland, where the Phillips' went regularly when they lived here. It
was lovely especially since this Sunday was Pentecost (makes sense
after Shavuot) and we were in the city where it happened, keenly aware
of the language barriers here.

After that I caught some lovely filafel and generally spent the
afternoon taking it easy with my classmates and studying.

Oh! In the evening we did get to take a tour of some Jewish
excavations around Temple Mount. That was great, all of the things
regarding Temple Mount have been my favorite so far.

I'm happy to report that so far I have not been sick at all and barely
sunburnt at all. People have been impressed with how well I have
retained my pasty-ness. After a whole week I did have a moment of
missing movies, tv (and the Glee finale!) and YouTube, but with so
much going on around us, it's hardto look back and miss that stuff for
long.

That said, I do miss you guys, and I'm thinking about you all the time.

Love,
Lauren

1 comment:

  1. Good morning Lauren! The multi-denominational church services must have been quite an experience! And, I love the picture of you walking (and your little pony tail). I can't believe a week has gone by already - on the other hand it seems like you have seen so much in such a short time. I am glad that I am here to visit with your mom for this first week. Oh, I like to refer to your fair-ness as lily-white instead of pasty but either way it is GOOD you are not sunburnt. I hope your test went well and look forward to your next update. I am taking the train to Boston to work this morning - you will be so proud! Love X O

    ReplyDelete