Thursday, May 20, 2010

At the Temple steps

Hi everyone,

A few quick things here. First off, sorry the times are weird on
these. In addition to the time change my emails don't always send
right away, so there is some weirdness there. Also, I apologize for
typos, I try to re-read, but I am sending all of this from my phone!

Today (thursday) we went to Hezekiah's tunnel and got to walk through
it. It was awesome. You could see (and touch) the chiseling in the
walls from the 700s BC. It was awesome and fun. It was also great to
be short. Some passages were just the perfect size for me and no more.

In the afternoon we went to the Southern side of the Temple Mount
(around the corner from the Western Wall) in the first century there
were 5 entrance ways to the temple area and 2 of them were on the
south side. That side of the Temple rampart wall was almost completely
destroyed but the steps are still there. As Dr. Phillips said if there
is anywhere that we really seriously know that Jesus walked it is
right there. That was really exhilerating. There were a couple neat
pieces of archaeology pointed out, which I can go into tons of detail
about at home.

Now I'm back at the hotel ready for dinner.

Don't worry mum, I'm wearing sunscreen. :P

Love,
Lauren

3 comments:

  1. Lauren, You were right - it is just getting better & better. How cool to run your hands over the carved walls and to know you are walking where Jesus once walked. Drink it all in so you can tell us all about it! I am heading to Boston today so I will give your mom a hug! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hezekiah's tunnel! well there better be some pictures of that. What do they guess were the tools used to dig/create that tunnel? That is what is so awe striking for me...wow all the work! and we complain about housework! Glad to hear the other important stuff about food and sunscreen:) Weird day for me. Lost my phone & credit card at gas station and a Needham cop found phone and will return it tonight...And Dad is at the Pgh. airport with Julie! He had a day trip there and ended up on same flight ... go figure:) Day off tomorrow:) yay.. love & miss you. xo Mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is Dr. Phillips referring to the moneylenders that Jesus ran out? I seem to remember they were at the entrance to the Temple, but didn't know if it was specifically the south one.

    ReplyDelete