Sunday, July 8, 2012

Weekend!


** I wrote this post on Saturday, July 7th**

Hello everyone,

Happy weekend. Today I got to say a tiny hello in somewhat real time on facebook. I hope that you enjoy these posts when you /do/ get them!

Today Heidi and I decided to walk to our half day of classes at Songhai. We gave ourselves a lot of time, and we really needed all of it. It took us an hour to walk there! It certainly was an interesting hour, seeing people set up their stands for the day, traversing the road side, and giving a friendly wave to people calling out at the novelty of seeing a white person.

We had a short French class, and then a bike care and repair class. I was amazed to realize how extensively I didn’t understand bikes. That is a little better now. Afterwards I fought my way onto the internet, and while I was not able to update my blog or check my email, I was able to check facebook. It’s the little things I guess.

This afternoon I had the first meal here that was really exciting to me. Fried fish (a staple) with grilled plantains and French fries. So healthy I know, but there comes a point where you need to take appetizing-ness into account.

In the afternoon I reviewed my notes and watched TV with the kids. There is an Indian soap opera on that we all really like. That reminds me, I have been wondering if Youtube has some clips of Beninese TV. If you are so inclined, I recommend looking up the general promotions for Canal 3 Benin, and the commercial for the K.O. energy drink with the broken down car at the beginning.

In general French speaking is going pretty well. I know my grammar isn’t perfect, but it is pretty rare for people to completely miss what I am saying.  I have noticed that sometimes when I remember a conversation that happened in French I remember it in English. Hopefully that means that sometimes French really is that intuitive. Immersion really is an awesome way to learn.

Hope you guys are well, thanks for reading.
With love,
Lauren

1 comment:

  1. Well Hello My Laurenee!:) Wow, we just got all of these great posts and I can hardly stand it:) So so so glad to hear all the details. You are right, it is so hard for us to imagine what you are seeing, doing, hearing and tasting. You/re doing a great job of documenting the experience and I so do appreciate it. Of course you know we are thinking of you so much. I walk into your room and think, wow, where is my Laurs?

    So proud of the hard work you are doing adjusting to everything. I can see that you are doing a great job being courteous of your host family. The stomach thing is a tough one, keep talking to it. I believe mine absolutely has a mind of it's own. As I am sure your uncle gary would agree. I think he once wrote an article titled "the gut, your second brain". Anyway, glad you are working through it. The food sounds pretty reasonable. Sounds like it is the preparation that is the concerning part?

    Unbelieveable that your host family has a car. God is so good, so good indeed He is. Be careful on that bike and especially if it gets rainy or muddy. I had a terrible wipeout once that my family likes to giggle about, but it really wasn't that funny. Keep your speed down and stay way off to the side always. Have you had a ride on the motorbike? It is just like what we have here? Would you jump on behind a driver and hold on around the waist? Have you had to take a backpack to school? Have you been wearing sunscreen everyday? All the Mum questions for sure:)

    I'm impressed with your French advances. Gee, I'll have to consider learning some French and then we can have a secret language;) I bet it is tiring transferring your english to french in conversation? What time are you getting to bed? Do you ever get a day off?

    Unbelieveable about the TV. Are the soap operas as trashy as they are here? Why do the kids like to watch them? Do the kids have cartoons or Barney or anything like that? What do they like to play? Are there any instruments? Do the girls have dolls?

    I would think the brick or concrete buildings would be sweltering hot? How are the sandals working out?

    the pictures we looked at before you left showed some party-ing. Is there alcohol? Have you had any?

    Ok, I'll stop with the questions:) and the next 1/2 of my comments to you will be on another comment page cuz it was too long;/ Keep reading. luv you. xo mum

    ReplyDelete