Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Sunday crafts and bike adventures


** I wrote this on Monday, July 16th**

Hi Everyone!

Today is Monday, the beginning of week 4 in the Peace Corps, week 3 with the host family. I’m still learning a lot every day, but I am starting to settle in a little bit too.

On Sunday I went to mass with the whole family. We went to a different church than the one Mama and I went to the week before. I guess this one had a better service time for everyone. This church was larger and had more of a cathedral layout. The service was once again in French and Gune or possibly Fon (with prayers in French and songs in Gune for the most part). Again it was really exciting to see church so personally owned in a culture so different from my home culture, but again it was hard to follow. I am going to try to look up the French version of some of the big prayers so I can join in on those next week.

After church we hung around the house for a while. My friend Amber asked if I wanted to meet up, but my host papa had said about going to the pond, and I am still really hesitant to spend time away from the family. You just never know when you are going to observe something helpful and important (or even better, get to be helpful).

We watched TV, which happened to be a French dub of Peter Jackson’s King Kong. This is only the second movie I have watched while here in Benin. The other was also starring Adrian Brody. Coincidence or national infatuation? I’m hoping for the later! Just kidding. It was nice to watch a movie though.

I also worked on my knitting and did some crafts with my host sisters. We braided yarn and made bracelets. I had mentioned before that I thought it would be fun to teach them how to make friendship bracelets, and it looks like we are starting at the very beginning with braiding. Both of them have cropped short hair, so I guess the concept is pretty new for them. I am going to be keeping an eye out for gimp string and beads. Also, I need to start brainstorming crafts and ideas for my little host brothers. That could be tricky.

In the afternoon Papa and Mama and I took a drive and they showed me the building where parliament meets (and the new parliament building under construction) as well as a huge statue of one of the famous kings of Benin, and the ‘pond,’ which was actually a river with a bridge that connects Porto Novo to Cotonou. After the driving tour we stopped at a Buvette for a drink and chatted for a while.

I went to bed early because I knew Monday would be a big day. Heidi, my neighbor and fellow Peace Corps Trainee had learned a route to Songhai from her host brother. She was confident that we could get there on our bikes without taking the main road. In the morning, I wasn’t a happy camper. I hadn’t really organized my bag well for biking, and trying to get it organized used up my breakfast time, so I just took some bread to go. The roads are mercifully not hilly, but they certainly are bumpy, with some intimidating puddles. Still despite all obstacles we trekked along at a good pace. Despite any disgruntled-ness, I could see why a lot of other trainees swear by the bikes. It feels so good to get a little physical activity in the day, and to be doing something by and for yourself. We spend our days receiving lessons, and vocab and culture notes, and zem rides and food. When we get to make something happen by our own reasoning and power, it’s very refreshing. I hear that the opposite will be true at post though!

I ended the difficult ride with a fall on my butt. I knew it was only a matter of time until that happened, so in a way it was good to get that out of the way without major incident. We stopped very close to the deep gutter outside of Songhai, and I really did NOT want to fall in that, and I basically over compensated, lost my balance, and would up on the ground. It wasn’t great for my pride, but it can take the hit.

French class was successful, and without incident. Most of the time we all buy lunch together after practicing French with people on the street. Today our instructor Aurelien needed to make some copies, so the three of us eleves or students went out to lunch together. We all got atassi, which is a mix of rice and beans in a spicy tomato sauce and Bethany and I got a small piece of fried cheese, a popular topping here. It was nice to go out to lunch just the three of us.

I am happy to say that the bike ride home was very smooth. When I got home I got to talk on the phone with my mom a bit, which was so nice. I’m thinking of you all back home! Thanks for all your support and interest. It means so much.

With Love,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment