Sunday, July 8, 2012

4th of July


Bonjour tout le monde! Hello Everyone!

It has been a day with it’s ups and downs to be sure. Some exciting cultural immersion, and some integration frustration. Let’s talk about the frustration part first. I have had some trouble adapting to food here.  I haven’t been sick, but I often feel a little off and don’t have much appetite as I am adjusting to new food, and a new life here. I am starting to think my stomach has a mind of it’s own. Even though I’m eating things I like, for example rice, chicken, tomato sauce, or hard boiled eggs, my stomach just can’t be convinced that it wants this stuff. It’s good to remember that when I was in Hawaii, no matter how much I ate I was still hungry, finally when I made some brownies I started feeling full. It wasn’t that I was not getting enough to eat, just that my stomach was anxious (if you will). I think the same thing is happening here, where my stomach is nervous that anything new could be bad. Stop being such a drama queen stomach!

In the mean time I have been anxious about offending my host mama, who probably spends an hour to an hour and a half preparing dinner every night. She also doles out big portions. Fortunately, other peace corps volunteers, and my fascilitators, continue to be supportive, encouraging me to talk to her about any sanitation concerns or different preferences. My host Mama herself has been very patient, accepting, and accommodating. The family seems to have been well prepared for us (and seems to be pretty kind and considerate to begin with!).

Ok, over to exciting cultural immersion: On days when we have language class all day we break up the day by walking around and talking to people in the neighborhood, usually students who have a break between classes at the nearby high school. Today I wound up chatting with a group of maybe 10 Beninese teenage boys, who were encouraged by my fascilitator to ask me questions. They did a good job. We talked about the founding of our countries (happy 4th btw) and my work with the Peace Corps, and our differing school systems. I also received an offer to be someone’s girlfriend (no marriage proposals yet though), was asked if I had any kids, and was asked if American men with long hair have to use women’s shampoo. I thought the last one was particularly funny. It was great to get to joke around with them. We were told that men in Benin can be very jokingly flirtatious, and people also expect that by the old age of 23 you would have a family, so I was sort of ready for both of those questions. I deflected the later by asking if any of them had any kids. They laughed and joked that they had about 5 each. Like I said, it was nice to joke around with people.

After class I rested a bit and wallowed in my grumpy stomach-ness. But after journaling and listening to some American music, I got up and jumped into the fray. My host mama is being really cool about explaining to me her recipes and cooking methods. I am glad to learn. Even though I have a little more trouble understanding her than my host papa, I feel at home talking recipes and ingredients. I’m eager to be fully helping cooking stuff. I also learned that she, awesomely enough, is going through the arduous process of bleaching and rinsing vegetables so they are super safe to eat. So, again, she is really great.

For dinner we had some salad (super clean salad even) and Pate Blanc which is basically flour and water, mixed to an almost mashed potato consistency, with a sauce that was part tomato sauce, and part clinclin, a local green which has a lot of beneficial properties. I tried to really give myself credit and just ate as much as I wanted (around a fistful of pate blanc) even though everyone else had heaping plates of it. I am pretty sure they have been told Americans sometimes take weird small portions. My stomach was pretty happy afterwards.

After that we watched soap operas for a while, and I showed my oldest host sister , Onelia, how to knit. It’s tough getting started, but it was fun to get to teach her.

Tomorrow, perhaps some internet!
Thinking about you guys all the time, I hope all is well with you and yours.
With Love,
Lauren



No comments:

Post a Comment