Sunday, July 8, 2012


** I wrote this post on Saturday, June 30th**


 

Hello Everyone!

Happy weekend! My first full day with the host family has been really good one. As I got ready for my half day of French class I felt prepared for the class, but not for breakfast. Mama and Pap had already eaten, and the kids hadn’t yet, so I ate a lone while the kids watched me and sometimes offered helpful advice. How do you open the can of Nescafe? Do you just tear off a piece of the bread? What do you scoop the mayonnaise with? It’s incredible how many questions a daily activity can generate. However, both the kids and the parents were helpful, and did seem to resist the urge to laugh at me.

I was given a ride to school by Heidi’s host papa. She is a fellow Peace Corps Volunteer (PCV) with whom I share a French class, and amazingly, she is also my neighbor. French class was pretty intense, but I can see that it will be really helpful. It’s just Heidi and I in the class, but today, many Peace Corps French classes met at the same Beninese school. It was good to get to swap stories and see people.

We only had a half day of class so at noon we called my host papa on our teacher’s cellphone, and he picked us up. Many students had to catch a Zemi, the motorcycle which is the most common transportation, so Heidi and I are feeling very lucky.

Throughout the afternoon and evening I played with the kids. I found out the two girls are 11 and 9 and the boys are younger than them. I mostly played with the girls. I observed some of their chores and set up the water filter the Peace Corps gave me, we watched some TV, and I drew some pictures and they told me the words in French.

Getting to know the family and my Beninese instructors has been a great experience. I will admit something in hopes that you can relate. When I was seeing pictures of Benin, it was hard not to find the people a little intimidating. Most people in the pictures looked very different than my friends and family. And in addition to that it seems to be in Beninese culture not to smile for pictures. In fact, in the picture I got of my host family they all have confused scowls on their faces. But in fact, my host family is very generous and considerate, very interested in me, and very good natured. When I observe someone first hand, hear their voice, see how naturally a smile springs to their face, and understand the words they are saying, I really am struck by how similar we all are the whole world over. And with regards to my host family in particular, I am also impressed by many of their not-so-third-world items and attributes. There is a big TV in the living room which is usually switching between Beninese news and African Music videos. Indoor plumbing and electricity, and of course the Mazda in the drive way.

Being in Benin has reminded me a lot of being in Jordan. This is probably helpful because when I was in Jordan, I wasn’t there to fix problems, I was there pilgrimaging/studying their archeological sites. I think that successful experience has facilitated an extra measure of calmness and respect for Beninese culture.

Before I wind down this post, I am sorry communication hasn’t been as consistent as I hoped. On Monday I will a cellphone, and I hear you can get some internet set up through that. Who knows, maybe that’s how this post will eventually reach you!
Anyway, I am thinking of you guys back at home all the time, and things here are great.

Love,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment