Sunday, July 8, 2012

First Day with my host family


**I wrote this post on Friday, June 29th**
 
First Day with my host family

Today was one of the days that I have been most nervous about: the day we all met our host families. I have got to say, it’s been so great!

In the morning we packed up our stuff at St.Jean Eudes dormitory/hotel/compound (I never quite figured that out) and went to the Peace Corps base in Cotonou. After an introduction to what French class will be like over the next three weeks, we loaded onto the buses and drove to Cotonou.

When we got there we were supposed to find our family, based on a picture we had gotten earlier. My family seemed to have a Mom, Dad, an older girl (maybe an aunt? Maybe a sister? It was hard to tell) and then a girl and two boys under the age of 12. I was having a difficult time finding them, but didn’t feel too bad, because I was seeing equally confused expressions on the faces of the Beninese host families. Finally I found my host papa and he greeted me with a handshake and a kiss on the cheek. From that moment, through the rest of the day, the family has been so generous, understanding, and enthusiastic.

After meeting a host family we had to sit through a few speeches about how great this Volunteer-hosting is (I was pretty sold, who am I kidding). Afterwards we were supposed to meet up with our French teachers. I explained to my host papa that I had not met my French teacher yet. He went up to /my/ Peace Corps schedule coordinator to explain to her the problem! I thought that was very kind.

When we got to the house they showed me to my lovely room with light blue walls and (wait for it) my own bathroom! I never expected to have my own bathroom and was a little worried about the politics of sharing an outhouse with family members. Clearly my expectations were way low. I have my own room with a locked door in addition to a locked safe box (apparently the Beninese are really into locking things, so this isn’t offensive). And yeah, I have my own private bathroom!

As the family showed me the room my host papa told me ‘we had this double bed, but the peace corps said only a single for one person, so I hope this is ok’. They had bought a single mattress and put it on top of the double mattress!

The kids are pretty bashful around me, but they seem really sweet. I’m excited to get to know them better. My host mama talks a little fast for me at this point, so I haven’t gotten to know her as well but she has been so genially kind, welcoming and hospitable, I am pretty excited to work my way into cooking and working with her.

Oh, they also have a wonderful air conditioned car in a world of motorbikes, and so does their neighbor who is hosting my classmate, Heidi. So it’s been a pretty great soft landing for me. I’m feeling really lucky and really excited. As we were driving from the big meet and greet to the host house, I couldn’t help smiling to myself. I am moving into Benin. And so far, it has been all of the wonderful different yet familiar adventure I could have dared hope that it would be. 

I am having the adventure of a life time and I am loving it.

With love,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment