Sunday, July 8, 2012

Weekend!


** I wrote this post on Saturday, July 11th**

Hello everyone,

Happy weekend. Today I got to say a tiny hello in somewhat real time on facebook. I hope that you enjoy these posts when you /do/ get them!

Today Heidi and I decided to walk to our half day of classes at Songhai. We gave ourselves a lot of time, and we really needed all of it. It took us an hour to walk there! It certainly was an interesting hour, seeing people set up their stands for the day, traversing the road side, and giving a friendly wave to people calling out at the novelty of seeing a white person.

We had a short French class, and then a bike care and repair class. I was amazed to realize how extensively I didn’t understand bikes. That is a little better now. Afterwards I fought my way onto the internet, and while I was not able to update my blog or check my email, I was able to check facebook. It’s the little things I guess.

This afternoon I had the first meal here that was really exciting to me. Fried fish (a staple) with grilled plantains and French fries. So healthy I know, but there comes a point where you need to take appetizing-ness into account.

In the afternoon I reviewed my notes and watched TV with the kids. There is an Indian soap opera on that we all really like. That reminds me, I have been wondering if Youtube has some clips of Beninese TV. If you are so inclined, I recommend looking up the general promotions for Canal 3 Benin, and the commercial for the K.O. energy drink with the broken down car at the beginning.

In general French speaking is going pretty well. I know my grammar isn’t perfect, but it is pretty rare for people to completely miss what I am saying.  I have noticed that sometimes when I remember a conversation that happened in French I remember it in English. Hopefully that means that sometimes French really is that intuitive. Immersion really is an awesome way to learn.

Hope you guys are well, thanks for reading.
With love,
Lauren

2 comments:

  1. 2nd 1/2 of my post, Laurs. I hope I haven't goofed this. When I went to post the note, it gave a big, TOO LONG message in RED:(

    here's second 1/2

    Was great to be able to talk on the phone Saturday. That just means everything to hear your chittering and chattering, even if I can't hear every word, I can tell things are going pretty good.

    As I mentioned, Kever and Meg and Dad are doing well. Dad and Kev have been torturing each other working through Kev's course selection stuff for clark. Kev has a internet session with his advisor on Wednesday and he has a pretty good idea of the courses he is hoping for. He's not going to declare a major right now (which Dad and I agree is wise). His interests seem to revolve around "International Justice", "Economics and the World Economy", "Global Society". I heard discussion about "Religion in the Ancient World" and "History of Contemporary Philosophy" and a language class. I'll let you know the final slate. Of course, some of it revolves around logistics...class times and baseball team. Other than that, he is working 6 days at the golf course and liking that pretty much I think. Still lots of grad parties and he said the other day "Mom, I don't want this to sound mean or anything, but I'm kinda looking forward to getting outta here". No offense taken, that is precisely what I am glad to hear from his at this point.

    Kev is also signed up for the TREK program which begins August 16 I believe. He moves in on that Thursday between 12 and 2:45 to be specific and then leaves for Maine. He will be doing backpacking, belaying and rope handling, climbing, rappelling, leadership stuff, cooking stuff, outdoor shelter construction, etc. Sounds a lot like la vita for you. At the end they have a final challenge event which is a run or a triathlon activity. He'll have a blast and make friends and it's all good:)
    And, yes, he needs a pair of la vita boots! tee heee

    and yes, there is a 3rd section to this long letter..... xo mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3rd section


    Meg has been great. We had a great buddy day on the 4th as I told you and I got the margarita glasses back today that we made. Meg said she would send you pics of them. Super cute. One is definitely in your future.

    She has worked a couple of 12 hours shifts and had to take the plunge and make a meatloaf for the same couple that she had to once make burgers for. She's getting there. Crazy funny how she can do so many medical things and be totally grossed out by ground meat.

    Dad has been working away on the computer trying to get key straightened out for college and also the apartment project for Meg has had a lot of arms and legs.

    Donno if I told you about that. I went with her last Sunday to meet her realtor at an apartment in Brighton. It is really very nice. A brick building offering a 1st floor apartment just off the main Brighton Avenue. Main street has all kinds of ethnic food, nail shops, little shopping places and of course a dunkin donuts. The price was right and the place was clean and safe. Laundry in the basement was a neat as a pin and didn't even smell musty. She gave the guy a yes answer and that has been followed by a week of paperwork. The broker wanted credit reports on us and check and photo id's etc. Dad has really taken the brunt of all of that, but in the end, it will be cheaper for Meg to live in the apartment than on campus and I do think she will be super happy there. It's also a short walk to the green line so no need for her car and school is 2 stops or so away. Move in is September 1:)

    Well, I guess I can see where you get your long detailed posts from?:) Sorry if this is going on too long. And, is this the most expedient way to write to you? I did write you and email but since I didn't get one back, am not sure if you got it or not?

    Well, gonna close now. I am working for Dr. Bartlett tomorrow. 2 surgeries, doesn't sound like too bad of a day but until we get them recovered and outta there, probably will be long:/

    I will send the bike seat, etc. on Wednesday. I did text jason and sounds like Mert is is turtle happiness:) Love the communication and details Lauren. Thanks for all the work.

    Also, Kever and I went to Grace Chapel this a.m. VanTwerp was the speaker;), much to our shaagrinn... but he did a good job as usual. He was preaching from the Psalms and of course I don't remember which one, but the point was to remember God when things are going well, which I'm sure you already are:) But he was reminding us how important it is to thank him for the gifts He is giving and pay it forward towards others... Also, things I am positive you are doing. Missed you terribly today at church. I'm sure it will get better. Luv Luv Luv my Laurs. xoxo Mum

    ReplyDelete