Tuesday, July 24, 2012

New French Classes


Hello Everyone,

Another busy day in Benin!

Health first: I have been amazed by how affective the cream and antibiotic have been. The swelling on my skin infection is down at least 80%. Yay doctors!

Also, today I came to find out that it was not one chicken living outside my window, but three! No wonder they were making so much noise. Another volunteer, Josh, lives on a chicken farm. I don’t know how he gets any sleep. As for me, I put earplugs next to my bed and actually put them in after I woke up, while I was getting ready. It kept my morning a little more serene. Fortunately or unfortunately, our gang of three chickens is now down to one (and the other two were delicious! XD Sorry chickens).

After successfully navigating morning with chickens, Heidi and I took Zemi taxis to Songhai. We actually both got very reasonable prices. It’s taken a while to get better at bartering, but I think we are learning a thing or two.

At Songhai I learned that I placed Intermediate High on the language test. That’s four levels higher than when I started, so there is a lot to feel good about. However, Heidi did place higher than me, which means for this week at least, we are in different classes. I think I need to be more of a perfectionist about my grammar, and push myself to use different tenses. My comprehension is relatively good, I just need to push myself to think out my conjugations a little more before I speak.

Class today was mostly administrative work, talking about safe travel, and mental health. It was all reasonably easy and manageable.

Tomorrow my new French class will be meeting at Songhai. There are two other students in the class, David (who hosted the cuisine challenge last Saturday) and Sarah A. who is a self-proclaimed herpetologist. They are both pretty cool, but I don’t know either of them very well, and neither of them live very close (sadly!). I guess I will have to get to know Porto Novo a little better.

Tonight Heidi is in Cotonou so that she can be examined by one of the doctors tomorrow. She has had a persistent cough for maybe two weeks, and it’s time to get that checked out. I hope she has my good luck with diagnosis and treatment!

Also, (depending on how you want to count) it was one month ago today that I left for the Peace Corps. What a month it’s been! I’ve been so lucky to have so many things go in my favor, and to have the challenges be manageable. I am so grateful that I’ve been able to communicate so frequently. Being able to share my experiences with you (and to hear from many of you also!) has meant so much to me. I know the road ahead is going to have more challenges in store. I am so grateful to have such a strong, well-supported start.

Thanks for reading!
With love,
Lauren

3 comments:

  1. Hello Laurs: I fell behind a day or two and Dad just mentioned about the infection:/ I guess I'm grateful that I didn't even get a chance to worry and already you are quite on the road to recovery. Thanks be to our great God:)

    Proud of you for doing so well with the French sweetie. Keep up the good work. No news really since I talked with you on Sunday. On Monday I worked for Dr. Bartlett and did a short easy rhinoplasty (on a sweet 16 year old girl) and a gynecomastia on a young man. Was glad for the easy day. Worked for Dr. Miller today and was another relatively easy day. Have been enjoying an evening walk last night and also tonight. The nights have been cool and it's just so nice to be out.

    Missing you all the time. Prayers and luv and all the hugs and cups of tea. xoxo Mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. Isn't you host Mama just the most wonderful woman?:) Thank her for me for being so caring, thoughtful and such a blessing. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lauren! I, too, was a day behind on the news and I am relieved that you have the antibiotics you need. The chickens outside your window story is making me laugh. I love having my windows open and hearing the birds in the morning - Cory, not so much. When Joyce was hosting an student from Korea (Jane) she was very angry about a bird that was making noise outside her window in the mornings. It may be the ultimate revenge that they (the chickens) end up as someone's dinner. I wanted to tell you a funny story... I was driving home from work last week and noticed the car in front of me steer off to the side of the road. I looked ahead and could see something on the road. Slowing down, I was surprised to see a TURTLE making his way across the very busy street. He was almost to the yellow lines in the middle! I quickly turned the car around and headed back intending to pick him up and get him safely to the other side. Just as I approached, a jogger, who was coming the other way did a complete double-take, ran to the middle of the road and snarfed up the turtle and deposited him in the grass! I laughed out loud. Imagine the good fortune of that little turtle - two soft-hearted rescuers in one day. Thanks for all your posts and LOVED hearing your voice on Sunday. xo xo Love and prayers, Julie

    ReplyDelete