Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Four days in the Galilee

Hi everyone,

Four days in the Galilee have been amazing. I swam in the Sea of
Galilee almost every night after the day was over. We walked around
everywhere. Chorazin, Capernaum, Sepphoris and so many more. I'm sorry
I didn't write you a daily email, but again, I was swimming.

We stayed at a resort and Debbie and Ashley (the two people on either
side of me in the Dead Sea pic) had a villa to ourselves. There were
six beds and a full refrigerator.

We spent our days trekking around, visiting tels and hiking up and
down cliffs and hills. We got to take a bout across the Sea of Galilee
(really, it's a lake, Israelites were not sailors). In the middle we
cut the engines and just drifted. The stillness was incredible.

In simpler news there were one-month-old kittens at the hotel living
under one of the villas. We got to pet them. I ran out of sunscreen on
Monday and bought another can of spray sunscreen, but it doesn't srpay
out a sun-protecting mist it actually sprays out white sunscreen. I
was not pleased about that, but I've been coping. Also I brought to
pairs of sunglasses on the trip and was lending one of them around and
the other day they broke. The guys who accidentally broke them
graciously gave me money for a new pair, so keep an eye out for my new
Israeli sunglasses in upcoming pictures!

A quick note: I hear that there has been some political tension with
Israel and I do t want you guys to worry. I've been hearing more of
the story but honesty if no one mentioned the news life wouldn't be
any different. Dr. Phillips is very intentional about keeping us out
of tense areas and honestly things are very localized here. Life
really has been unchanged by any of the events you've been hearing
about. Unless you've been listeningto the weather. We definitely hit
110 the other day (Tuesday?) in Galilee.

That's all for now. I love and miss you all. Thanks for anything you
dis to make this trip happen. I'm really having the time of my life
out here.

Love
Lauren

5 comments:

  1. BRING BACK A KITTEN!!! I want pictures of those!! :) Glad to hear you are having such a wonderful time! I've been driving the van a bit and it definitely misses you! How did you survive 110?? Last week we reached around 101 and I thought I would die!

    Also I hate that white spray sunscreen too :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you dare bring back a kitten! Good to hear all the news. Will write more later...just checked this before leaving for work and kinda rushed...AND the keyboard is sticking from someone eating here i think! Miss you lots and glad you are having such a wonderful time. xo Mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, are you doing the Jordan extension? I better see you when you get back! : ) Love Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laur, Glad you are back on-line because I look forward to checking in on you every day! I vote yes to bringing home a kitten. We can think of a really cool Israeli name for her. :) The resort sounds like it was really nice and I know how much you love to swim! Crazy week at work and even crazier one next week with visitors coming from Federal Way, DC & international locations. I have been watching the news and thanks for the info on your safety. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Blessings! love, julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. not beth - taken me a while to figure out how to post a comment - you know i'm amish on the inside. but i have an important question for you; i'm sure you know what it is: it involves the negev... and camels...
    i love you and i'm praying for you and it's loovely to see your lovely voice :)
    jazzie

    ReplyDelete