Friday, June 18, 2010

A quick update from Southern Jordan

Hi everyone,

Sorry it's been a few days. The hotels we've been in have all been
charging for the use of their internt and I have just been skipping it.

Things have been great here. I feel like I've gone from seeing places
I've always wanted to see to seeing place that I never thought I would
see. The beautiful mountains around Sela (pictured below) or the ones
we saw in Wadi Ram are great examples. It really was just
breathtaking. Like being in an Omni movie.

Yesterday we saw Petra and that really was amazing. There were some
good pictures taken there, don't worry. I have to say honestly I've
been feeling a little out of it. Given, with all the hiking I'm
definitely in the best shape I've every been in. However when we came
south on Tuesday a few of us (4-5) caught a cold, and while I'm
definitely getting better o just don't have the fight in me that I had
before. Still, it's getting better. I'm drinking tons of water.

There is so much more to say but I'm going to skip to the formalities
and hope to talk to all of you lovely people in person when I get home.

Tomorrow is our last day in the field. Sunday we are back in Amman for
our exam. Monday we go backthrough customs to Israel and spend the
evening in Jerusalem. Tuesday we fly home. There is a rumor that we
have a five hour lay over in London and I am determined to break out
of the airport and walk around a little. Then it's home again home
again (jiggety jigg).

I can emphasize enough that I have had an amazing time. Still I'm
getting ready to get home. If at least to move at a slightly slower
pace and speak the same language as the people around me. I know I
will miss all this when it's time to leave though.

Please be patient with me while I'm adjusting. I know food and time
change will be something, but I think the pace of life will be the
biggest change. I basically haven't gotten a phone call or text
message in over a month. None of the people that I need to talk to
have been over three floors away from me in about a month. And of
course, I've been dressing a little scandelously if my knees were
showing. All these things will take a little time to transition, but I
will be very happy to have some long talks, so plan on that.

I hope all is well with you and yours.

Love,
Lauren

2 comments:

  1. Hi Laur: Glad you texted me today and glad for this more-detailed blog. Was starting to get a lil uncomfortable that I hadn't heard from you for a few days:/ These last days will fly by and am so looking forward to having you back here. Luv you and miss you, Mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again Laur: Weird way to communicate with you on this one, but I want you to know the up-date on Kev. The MRI showed that he has a bone/cartilage chip that has fallen into the joint space (making his knee unstable and painfull). This could have been caused by trauma, injury or can be a congenital issue.

    He will need surgery to remove the loose piece and possibly the surgeon will do some work to fixate (screw or pin) in some cartilage and do some grafting. We have made a connection with a well-regarded surgeon at Boston Childrens and will meet with him on July 17 to discuss the MRI and what his approach would be to give Kev the best outcome possible.

    Kev now knows about this and is motivated to overcome the setback...however, rightfully so, is disappointed and maybe even a little angry (as are we) about the setback. Aside from the surgery issue, he recognizes the possible negative impact it may have on service academy dreams...lots of prayers and support needed for sure. For now, he is of course out of baseball. He will be going on the Odd Fellows Scholarship trip and leaving on June 26, back on July 8. He's at the field right now, standing with his Babe Ruth team as they participate in the championship games...heartbreaking:( Am prayerful and full of the knowledge that God is well-aware and in charge of this whole situation.

    My guess is that he will have the surgery at the end of July/early August. Unsure about the amount of recovery time and hate to guess at this point. I miss you and luv you Laur. Ready for you to come home. Ask others to pray for him. xo Mum

    ReplyDelete