Friday, June 11, 2010

Theater in ruins!

Hi guys,

A few weeks ago I was geeking out about the London Theater trip around
Dr. Phillips. She asked me say the few things I (enthusiastically)
knew about Greek and Roman Theater when we were at Caesarae Phillipi
in Israel. That led to the two of us organizing a staging of Jesus
healig the two demoniacs in Matthew 8 at Gedara in Jordan today. The
enactment was complete with singing chorus. I nobly took a place among
the chorus of pigs however. We got to rehearse our little production
only once and at least for me, it was an honor to put on some sort of
show that was meaningful to our audiance in a place where so many
performances have taken place over thousands of years.

Later in the day we went to the brand new excavation of Capitolas
where only the theater has been excavated, but no reconstruction has
taken place like we see at most sights. With a little convincing from
Corey, I actually performed my Constance monologue from King John that
I learned for Voice and Scene studies. Certainly, it was not the best
performance of that monologue by a long shot. I got my lines a little
garbled in the beginning but I'm so glad that I did it, and that I had
a monologue I could used. The acoustics and staging area were great,
and just beautiful to look at. It definitely goes on my list of
"Things to do in life".

So things are great. I am starting to get ready to go home though. We
are just tripping over paottery shards these days. Tomorrow we are
only visiting one sight, Gerasa, then goig back tothe Ramada and
probably to church. Sunday is a free day and Monday is a quiz and
lectures. So we have a bit of a break which is great. There is so much
great stuff here. There are so many unexcavated sites. I want to be
fully excited about them. That is still happening most of the time.
The break will be good though.

I'm looking forward to catching up with you all in realy time in a
week and some change. I hope all is well, and thanks for reading! It's
great to get to share this craziness with people.

Love,
Lauren

1 comment:

  1. Oh Laurenee, how I wish I could have seen those performances! Were any photos taken? I'm sure there were and I insist on a re-enactment when you get back! Things continue pretty usual here. Kev has had a bit of a set-back with his knee. He pitched at a very rainy game for the Braves one evening this week and came home concerned about something being wrong. After an hour-long physical therapy session today, it has been recommended that we get him to an orthopedic doctor (which will happen Monday). Prayers for him as this is bad timing with him leaving for Omaha on Thursday morning. Also, he is benched from baseball for now and his team is just starting into the playoffs -- bummer for sure. Other news...made a nice dinner on the deck this evening...am longing for you to be back and a part of those scenes. Meg has been asking for pretzel jello and I actually made "the best one ever". Am working tomorrow (Saturday), which is an oddity but am the silly one that is willing. Going to put your van in shop next week for a buff up and I got all of my flowers planted and am anxious to share that with you:) Luv Luv and Miss you. xo Mum

    ReplyDelete