Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Today I was given a powerful gift


Today, as part of our administrative work to finish training, each EA trainee had a meeting with Giselle, our revered Training Manager, and Salomon, our Program Manager. We got to talk a little about how we felt the training has gone, and if we felt ready to make a two year commitment to the Peace Corps. We were surprised that Gisele and Salomon also had criteria on which they had accessed each of us, based on he work we’ve turned in, our behavior in and out of class, and responses from our host families. I am happy to get to tell you that I was surprised by what a positive review I got! Before we even really got started, Salomon said, “Lauren est toujours content.” ‘Lauren is always happy’. They said that They had observed my morale being consistently high, and that I was always willing to work and participate in the lessons. They said that my host family said that I had spent a lot of time with them and had shared a lot between American and Beninese culture.

It really meant a lot to me to hear those things. As you probably know if you have been reading the blog, I have been pretty happy with how training has gone. Still, there are things that I have questioned about myself. Life with the host family is a great example. I really pushed myself to hang out in the living room where they all work and hang out, even when I might have been more comfortable in my room. I really tried to share how I was feeling, and what my American perspective was, even when it seemed to take a long time to explain. Despite these things I have sometimes worried that I didn’t push hard enough to become involved with the household chores or things like that. Knowing that the family has felt like I have been open and available, and a real part of the family is so affirming.

I really appreciated getting that affirmation at this time. As I have mentioned, I have some apprehension about the adjustment of moving to Founougo. Knowing that I have been doing it right here in Porto Novo, through all the challenges and uncertainty of these first months, makes me see that I have what it takes to make it work.

And in fact, Salomon said just that. He said that he saw in my paperwork that I have some anxiety about moving to post. He said that, especially in light of the above, he believed that I have the skills necessary to be successful. He reminded me that he and the Assisstant Program Manager, Gbaguidi, are here for me. He did specifically say that Founougo might seem far, but it’s not far away for the Peace Corps and if necessary he for Gbaguidi could always visit. And then he said they chose me for this post because “tu es fort” ‘you are strong’. Hearing that from Salomon was like being given a sword as a present. I felt complimented and also empowered.

I hope I’m not bragging by sharing these things. Instead I just really wanted to get to share my successes with you guys. It hasn’t been easy leaving home and friends and family, adjusting to new food and new germs, speaking a second (and pieces of a third) language, and navigating the uncertainty of cultural differences. Hearing that someone thinks I’m doin’ it right is so affirming as I move forward into this next phase.

Speaking of the next phase, a couple words on that. When I move to post, internet access is going to become a mush more limited commodity than it is here in posh Porto Novo. I should be able to travel about an hour to a cyber café, or three hours to a Peace Corps base that has wi-fi. That being said, I am not going to be able to update the blog as frequently. In the first three months, and especially the first month, I think it would be wise if we all kept the expectations very low. I will have cellphone reception, and therefore will be staying in regular contact with my Mom and Dad. I have talked with them about the possibility of them posting on the blog on my behalf. We will see if that is necessary, playing it all by ear.

Thanks so much for reading and sharing in this adventure so far with me. I’m feeling very luck.

With love,
Lauren

1 comment:

  1. Lauren: I just had to comment that we are incredibly proud, but not surprised, at your successes. Salomon was right, you are strong, and also wise and hugely gifted by a gracious God:) Love and prayers from all readers, (I am sure) for your continued safety and success in being a useful tool in this world. Mom

    ReplyDelete