Tuesday, September 4, 2012

second to last week of training!


Hello everyone,

Only a few passing pieces of news for today. Yesterday we learned how to make mudstoves, which are essentially free to make and much more fuel and smoke efficient than many of the popular models. All the practical application is really encouraging. The current volunteer who is working with usthis week, Nora, said that when she was introducing herself to people in village she would say, “and I also know how to make mudstoves. Would you like me to make one for you?” and that was how she first got to hang out with people.

After class yesterday Heidi and I went to the couturier, or seamstress. It’s a tradition in Peace Corps Benin for each sector to pick out one pattern of fabric, and then everyone gets an outfit made in that fabric for Swear-In. Heidi and I both chose fairly western designs for our dresses, so hopefully they will come out ok. Western styles can be more complicated and confusing for couturiers.

Today I actually was feeling kind of sick, and went home early. I just feel very tired and a little nauseaus. If symptoms continue tomorrow, I will call the doctor. It could possibly be a side effect, but just feeling a little sick and tired does kind of underline any homesickness I am feeling. I want to work on savoring memories when they hit me, instead of feeling sad that I can’t do those things right now.  I won’t say that I *haven’t* been daydreaming about grandma’s cooking, and family vacations, and video games with friends. Still I try to remind myself there are things here that I will miss when that time comes. All things in moderation, preferably with some good sleep!

Thanks for reading,
With love,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment