Wednesday, February 1, 2012

In Hawaii

Hello World!

I am in Hawaii. It is weird and great. There is so much to say but really I am too jetlagged to do it justice. So, let me sum up.

The trip began with most tedious flight plan of my life (Boston to Chicago, Chicago to Phoenix, Phoenix to LA, LA to Kona Hawaii). Thanks to the prayers of many wonderful people I did infact arrive with all of my luggage. One flight left a half hour late but on in on time, another left on time and got in a half hour early. So not bad at all for time variations. I slept a lot. I also did finish reading The Fault in Our Stars, which was a mistake because in it's beautiful poignant way, that book is such a tear jerker.

Today I woke up in my cabin in Hawaii. I had the first two hours of the day to unpack and get myself situated. Then Craig oriented me with my tools, and the general way things work. He is a very chill guy and easy to get along with. I also met his significant other Ngaire (pronounced nigh-ree) and she is sweet and considerate. She put some eggs in the fridge I use, knowing I won't be able to go to the store until Friday. They also have a dog named Lei-lei and she is even freindlier! She ran up to my door this morning to say good morning (I stepped out side and gave her a good-morning scratch) and while I was making breakfast she dropped a tennis ball at my feet and was like "Play time!" She is really good at catch. There is also a cat, but she is very shy.

Anyway after being oriented, I jumped right into work with some weed and vine clearing tasks. It's good to be doing some farm work again and I'm really encouraged by how much my experience at Fairmount Fruit Farm really informs my work here. There is definitely a different culture here though! No lunch break where the family gathers around the farm kitchen table for the daily soap-opera, that's for sure. It's much more chill here.

I will be posting some pictures. I am considering making a Tumblr and linking to it. Thoughts? Too many websites to have accounts for these days, that's what I say!

Ok, going to bed soon.
Peace,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment