Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Avocado Festival!

This weekend Craig, Ngaire and I went to the Avocado Festival. I didn't really know what to expect, but it turned out to be very similar to Dedham's Craft Fairs. Different artists had tables set up with jewelry, clothes, pottery, preserves, snacks, and of course, avocados. In addition to all of this, there were some live performances, including the band of Ukelele players below, and four girls who opened the festival with Hula dancing.

The festival took place on the green of a local Resort. Ngaire told me that it is owned by a Hawaiian family with royal heritage. That gives them some wealth with which to own the hotel, and it also means that they have a more sustainable, Hawaiian friendly, management than some of the other tourist attractions around. The resort is located right on the water front, giving me my first encounter with the Pacific (as seen from Hawaii anyway). I was able to walk down to the beach and wet my feet in the tidal pools there.

Just when it seemed like this moment of window-shopping and ocean-enjoying couldn't get any better, I found out that my turtle, Merlin, has been moved into his new big tank! I got the tank for Christmas and subsequently got a filter for it, but didn't manage to get it up and running before I left for Hawaii. My mom has been an amazing turtle sitter and she got him all set up. I'm so grateful to everyone involved with that endeavor.

ok, on with the pictures!

My feet in the tidal pools at the resort's beach


The resort and one of the vendor tables


A band of Ukelele players!

That's all for now! Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Lauren, the water in the tide pool is so clear! How wonderful is that? Ukeleles, hula dancers AND avacados. Sounds like a perfect day. Love you xo

    ReplyDelete