Monday, June 10, 2013

Selling Solar Lights



**I wrote this June 3rd, 2013**

Hello Everyone!

This week I got to really start working on a solar light project. Planning calls and meetings have been happening for months between my Dad and Unite to Light in America, and Baron-my-Counterpart, and a bike-selling businessman here in Founougo. This week we got to start selling the first 30 lights, and the results have been very exciting. People have been coming to my house and stopping me on the road asking if I was the one selling the lights, and where they could get them. It’s exciting that there is so much interest and that these first things seem to be settling into place. Banni, the bike seller has proven himself to be really willing to work and generally be open and available, which makes a big difference when I think about the future of this project. I am looking forward to telling all of you how well the lights sell, and what our next steps will be.

To assist the solar-light project, Baron and I went around to 26 households and surveyed them about their current lighting habits. On a personal level, it was heartening to see how much more confident and eloquent, and how much better of a team I felt that Baron and I are now, than when I did a mudstove survey back in October. I’m growing guys! Haha. The survey was also pretty helpful.

This week I also got to visit the home of my scholarship girl Adiza. I was relieved to get to find her house before the school year ends because she doesn’t have a cellphone and no one has a house phone, so getting in touch with her would be very tricky otherwise. I was able to give her a French teen wellness magazine, and she was excited about that.

In other news, I have been persevering some digestion related illness that has kind of put me in low gear. Nothing that forces me to spend the day in the house (or the latrine) but enough that my energy is a little low. There’s always something!

In other challenges to patience and fortitude, the kids who live close to me accidentally deleted all the photos I had on my camera. I knew it was an accident, and that they couldn’t have read the English on my camera, but I still was a little angry about it. The kids were very quiet and polite when they realized what had happened, and I was pretty quickly able to move past it. My Mom often quptes my paternal grandmother saying, “the only things in this house that aren’t replacable are the people.” Sharing my life and my stuff with new people has run the risk that something would get broken, and it was honestly good to remember that lesson and move on.

Well, I am excited to see what happens moving forward with these projects. In general it seems like things are clicking together more and more. I hope you are all doing well back in the States. I’m so proud of those Bruins. I’m glad to hear they are doing well. Maybe someday I will get to catch those Bruins/Penguins games, I’m sure they are something to see.
As always, thanks for reading.
With love,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment