Thursday, May 9, 2013

Women's Day and Camp Applications


Hello Everyone!

Life has been busy this week! The Latrine Project is charging along, as we continue to view possible sites for construction. It is also the last week of classes at the CEG, or secondary school. That caught me by surprise, and I am scrambling to select students for summer camps and a scholarship for next year. I am excited about all of these things, especially the scholarship girl, so I am trying to really hustle to have all the meetings and paperwork in order to make them happen.

I have also gotten an opportunity to read some 60 applications from students, with more to come. There have been some really good answers and a lot of really funny ones. Sometimes students didn’t understand what the question was asking. For example, on the Environmental Camp application, I asked what they thought were significant threats to the environment. Some people started listing things like plants and trees and one person even said God! It’s been interesting that’s for sure. Their have been some applications that rose to the top, and I am excited to get to work with these kids at camp (Scholarship girl will be picked next week).

My church is having a big party on Sunday to celebrate women (in connection with Mother’s Day?). I actually had a meeting with my pastor because, to put it mildly, I didn’t think there was enough emphasis on the strong and assertive women of the Bible. You know, Deborah, Esther, Miriam, Ruth, Abigail, Rahab, Mary, Mary, Lydia, Phoebe, just to name a few. He seemed pretty receptive.

In addition for trying to do some cursory theological women’s empowerment lessons, Women’s Day does also mean that the church ordered a specific printed fabric for the Day. I bought some meters, and it is being stitched up right now. I am actually really excited to have a matching outfit with my church. Getting matching outfits is something that families will do, as well as clubs or organizations, and, as in this case, for special holidays. I don’t know, it makes me feel included! I will try to muster up the courage to take pictures.

Those are the updates now. Thanks for reading!
With love,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment