Friday, October 26, 2012

The trouble with eggs


Hello Everyone!

I hope that you are doing well, and I hope you are enjoying the blog!

It’s been a pretty good week, but before I get into that I want to explain a little about traveling.

In our first three months at post, we are allowed to be away from our village at most two nights per month. This is to encourage us to get to know our community and the assets there. After the first three months we have three ‘mental health days’ a month instead of two, and we will also have access to our vacation time. For the time being I have budgeted out my time so that I would get to spend a night at the workstation every three weeks. Last weekend however, I got a little extra internet in because I went and visited the Kandi Workstation for the day and got back to Founougo before dark. All in all I spent 4 hours in the workstation and 5 hours traveling, so it’s not a trip I will be making every weekend, but it’s nice to know that it’s an option.

Now for some anecdotes. The day after I got back from my Kandi day trip, I had a tricky social experience. I came to find out that the price I had been paying for eggs was more than twice what the price should have been. Now prices are often flexible here, and I sort of new it was only a matter of time until I paid too much for something because I didn’t know what the price ought to be. However, I had started to develop a rapport with the women who sold the eggs. They would recognize me (which admittedly is not that difficult) and we would go through some friendly salutations in Bariba before they utterly ripped me off. At first I was just embarrassed, but the more I thought about it the more annoyed I became. I decided I would have to talk to them.

Even though it wasn’t market day, I went to the place where they usually sell the eggs and asked some men who were standing there were was the woman who sold these eggs. It was lucky that the men were there, and got a little bit involved, because they spoke French, where many women do not. Also, shame is very significant in this culture, and I was ok with letting a few people in the community know that I wasn’t going to stand for being treated that way. I explained to them that I am a newcomer here, and everything is new for me. (I knew that in this culture it is an important mark of politeness to welcome newcomers). I explained that I am a volunteer and am not receiving a full salary. I told them how I am here to help Founougo and these women had tricked me. They could see that I was upset, and were able to reflect back to me what I was saying and translate it into Bariba a little. The women for their part looked embarrassed.

When market day came around two days later, I didn’t need to buy eggs even if I had wanted to. However, I did make a point to say a very quick hello to the women selling the eggs, and they were looking out to see if I would greet them. I hope we can move forward with some positive respect for each other. I am optimistic that we can.
Tuesday was Suzanne’s birthday, (she is one of the five volunteers here in the Banikoara area). Because I was traveling for some meetings, I got to visit her town, Toura and along with Josh surprise her and wish her a happy birthday. It was really great to see another volunteer’s town, and get to catch up with Suzanne and Josh. They both seem to be doing really well. Suzanne is an English teacher like Camille, so classes are really starting to get rolling for her. Josh is an Environmental Action volunteer like me, and he said that there was a lot of interest in his work (and his knowledge of English!) at the high school in his town. It was great to hear about little things that are starting to get moving for each of them. Suzanne and Camille were in a Bariba class together during Training, so Suzanne speaks Bariba a lot with her neighbors in village. For me, it was really encouraging to see how much I could understand based on the studying I have been doing here in Founougo. Some days it seems really daunting, so it’s good to have those moments of recognizing that growth is happening.

For my part, I had a very edifying meeting with a supervisor this week, and he encouraged me during my service to look seriously at latrine construction. Financially significant projects can be a little tricky, but I am glad to hear where there is an interest, and a project like that that has tangible lasting benefits certainly has it’s appeal. I also got to visit classes at the local high school. It was really exciting to make the jump from the primary schools to the high school and see how much the French level improved. One of the teachers is even interested in starting an environmental club! So work is piecing together, little by little. This week felt busier than weeks past, and I am trying to push myself to maximize my time. It’s always a challenge in a culture that almost can’t focus on promptness.

Well, those are the thoughts for this week. It could be three weeks, (or thanksgiving), before I get to post again, though you never know. I will try to type up a weekly entry regardless and post when I get the opportunity.

Thanks so much for reading, I’m so glad to get to share these experiences with you!
With Love,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment