Saturday, October 20, 2012

Looking at one month at post


**I wrote this on October 13th**

Hi Everyone,

I don’t expect to be able to post this to my blog for a little while, I thought I’d write just the same. It’s been a week since I last updated the blog in the Kandi workstation, and I’ve been keeping track of some thoughts and anecdotes that I wanted to share.

First I wanted to tell you about the taxi ride back from Kandi to Banikoara (before the motorcycle taxi ride from Banikoara to Founougo). Taxis tend to be over crowded as a rule, but this one was a record breaker. Four of the five of us Banikoara area volunteers decided to find a taxi together. We would up smushing into the middle row of a three row station wagon, with 4 adults and 4 kids under the age of 5 in the back, and three adults in the front row with the driver. At 16 people in a station wagon, we felt like we had reached capacity, even in Benin. But after about 20 minutes on the road we slowed down almost to a stop and Camille and Suzanne, our two best Bariba speakers started laughing. When Josh and I asked them what was funny, they said that a man had approached the driver, and the driver had said in Bariba, “Let’s go” and then the man jumped up on the roof with the luggage. Sure enough when we looked back there was a pair of feet dangling from the roof. All 17 of us made it to Banikoara with a good story to tell!

Coming back to post after visiting the workstation in Kandi was a little bit of a transition. I journaled about that, and thought I would share my thoughts with you now. I’ve been glad that I shared challenging moments in the past, so here we are.

I wanted to talk a little about how life has been different since I visited the workstation in Kandi. There it was cooler and cleaner, and I ate delicious food, and listened to American music, and talked to other Americans. I also spent almost the entire time on the internet – downloading the new Mumford Album, and pulling other information like West African Folktales, and posting to my blog, and posting pictures and emailing. It was great. I also didn’t get very much sleep trying to fit everything in.

When I got back , the next morning I slept in and never wound up leaving my house. Given, I did work. I worked on my compost pile and read up on rabbit raising and studied Bariba. But still. The next day I was in my house until mid afternoon when I finally got stir crazy and went for a meeting with my homologue. For most of the day Tuesday I was just happy to be in my house, studying and doing paperwork. I got worried that now that I’ve seen how awesome it is to go to the workstation, I will just spend my time waiting for the next time I get to go there. I certainly do look forward to those trips a lot already. When does that become wishing your time away? Maybe it’s when you look forward to those things more than you enjoy your daily life. I certainly like my house, and I care about the people I interact with. I am eagerly searching work opportunities but trying not to jump at every stray opportunity.

Anyway, I did feel a lot better after I got out of the house. On the way to the meeting I met someone who said they would teach me Peuhl, one of the other local languages. (I haven’t followed up with them yet, sometimes people make offers like that just to be friendly, still I’ve been looking for someone who speaks both French and Peuhl.) On the way back I saw the coiffure, or hair salon where one of the mamas in my concession works, and I saw Sabi, the old man who sat next to me at church. The meeting itself was less exciting. I got worried that I am becoming less of an exciting novelty. Still, I did have work matters to discuss and it seemed to go well. I would like to get working on an ongoing project. I’ve started messing with the school garden a little, that’s good. I am also hoping to install a living fence (made of trees) there. Soon I will be able to visit classes at each school and before December 9th (when we have In Service Training) I would like to guest lecture, at least a few times. Soon enough it will be mudstove building season, and things seem to be going well with Gnon Tori (she worked on mudstoves with the volunteer I am replacing). There is also the tree nursery with Seidou, who knows what will happen with that. I guess we keep organizing and keep on keeping on. It’s a challenge but I do feel lucky to be here.

A few days after I wrote that journal entry I got to share a laugh with Gnon Tori. She has been helping me with Bariba, and that day I was studying vocabulary on physical descriptions of people. While we were working a man came by to talk to her briefly. As he was leaving Gnon Tori leaned over to me and whispered, in Bariba, “He’s fat!” I appreciated the teachable moment. Do remember that here it isn’t considered rude to comment on people’s physical appearance, and actually being a little heavy means that you are well off and haven’t been sick. She’s a good hearted person, that Gnon Tori. I think I like her sense of humor.

Incidentally after the Bariba lesson we wound up sharing lunch. And by sharing I mean eating off the same plate with our hands. I’m getting a little better at not making a complete mess of myself when I eat with my hands (though it’s taken me longer to learn than learning to eat with chopsticks!). I was so grateful to share a meal with her.

So that was a positive experience, here’s a frusterating one. A few days back I had been walking past the market with someone when a woman selling food called out to great me. The person I was walking with said, “Oh, that’s Foussena” and I looked over and believed it was the woman who wants to raise rabbits. I think you can see where this is going. I actually stopped by and made a point to great her and ask about the family, and the rabbits after that. A few days later, my homologue Baron and I wanted to have a meeting with Foussena. I told Baron she was selling food by the market. When we arrived there I said hi to the woman and then Baron said, “Where’s Foussena?” I was mortified to realize I had gotten her confused with someone else. I was so embarrassed. Baron was very understanding about it and just said, “Yeah, in Bariba there are a lot of women named Foussena.” Oy vey. Incidentally the real meeting with the real Foussena did go well.

Another more positive anecdote: There have been a few people who knew Summer well who have reached out to me. One girl, Mamato  (MA-ma-toh) who goes to the local high school even came by to say hi to me at my house. The other day I was walking through the market with a very heavy canvas bag. Mamato saw me and said hi, and when she saw that I was going home she offered to carry my bag. I automatically refused, but she insisted. Truth be told, I had already been walking for 20 minutes or so, and I can’t say I wasn’t grateful for the help. We talked about her English class and the school garden, and when we got to my house I was able to give her some of the fried bread I had splurged on. I’m still grateful to her.

I thought of another anecdote from a while ago that I didn’t share before, but I found it funny and wanted to share it now. I hope I’ve mentioned before that people are generally pretty willing to drop what they are doing to help when someone needs it. That’s actually very well demonstrated in the story with Mamato. I should also emphasize that kids do a lot of work. They are sort of the first line of attack for any chores that need to be done.

Well one day I had been out all morning and didn’t arrive back at my concession until after noon when the sun was already beating down and it was very hot. I was tired after walking home and so raedy to sit down and drink some water. I was surprised to find that when I got to the entrance to my concession the door was closed. When I tried the handle and shook the door a little it didn’t move. For a while I stood there and looked at the door, trying to decide if I would go to some street food vendor to sit until someone came home, or if I would just sit in front of the door. I even considered trying to climb over the wall, but if nothing else that seemed like it would attract a lot of attention. There was already a little kid standing watching me deliberate. Then a man came up on a motorcycle and stopped in front of the concession. I wasn’t really sure if he lived there or not (this was still early on). The little kid stepped up and the two of them talked in Bariba a little bit. I just stood there, totally passive in the heat. The man tried the door and also tried the large metal gate next to it. Both were closed. Then the kid climbed over the gate into the concession. I was so hot and tired it was all good with me. The little kid and the man talked back and forth across the door in Bariba. The kid couldn’t get the door open. Then he tried the gate. After various metallic banging noises he couldn’t get that either. Then, because there seemed like nothing else to try the man noticed a rope tied around the gate and looped through part of the lock of the door. When he untied the rope the door fell right open! I felt silly, but mostly I felt tired. So just as if he and the little boy had just held the elevator door for me, I said thanks and went inside.

Ok, that’s all the anecdotes that I have saved up for this week. I did have one more thought that I wanted to share with you. I want to talk a little more about when I first rode into Founougo. As I was riding in that rickety peugot truck down the dirt road, I was hit by a thought that I have often revisited since then. I kept thinking my whole life, I was always going to come to Founougo. And the whole time Founougo has existed, I Was always going to come here. You can take that as literally or as metaphysically as you want to. I know it’s possible things won’t work out between me and Founougo. And it’s always possible that some political unrest that never actually affects the town itself could mean I have to leave, there are a hundred unforeseeable circumstances. Heading towards Founougo for the first time almost felt like a betrothal. I wondered if I would love the town right away, and new it didn’t really matter, because I would slowly get to know the town and find things that worked and come to love it little by little. That’s been true so far. Even though there are a lot of things about being here that are hard, I feel a sense of pride and even a little personal ownership for this town. I certainly have some affection for it. And yeah, I keep coming back to this idea that all my life I was always going to come here.

There are still some adjustments. I don’t think this entry would be complete if I didn’t point out that it has been a whole month since I have seen a movie. I don’t think that has ever happened before. At what age did I start watching movies Mom and Dad? Still, all things are going pretty well. The latrine is doing well, the well is doing well, the kitchen is great, and I’m doing just fine.

Thanks for reading, and as the saying goes in Bariba, ‘May God bestow spices upon you’.
With love,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment