Friday, August 31, 2012

Working in Groupements


Hello friends,

Here we are on the eve of my third month first-of-the-month in Benin. Realizing that makes me feel really affirmed and confident. It is strange to think that riding on the back of a motorcycle past dusty streets crammed with bread vendors would ever seem normal; or eating boiled flour paste would ever be appetizing. Yet here I am, and here we all are in stage 25 of Peace Corps Benin, getting ready for the next challenge.

Since coming back from post visit, life has seemed very busy. I am starting to feel more comfortable adventuring out into Porto Novo with other volunteers. It seems like every day there is a reason to go to the marche or sit and chat at a buvette (or bar). We also are having an hour of local language class, about 3 times a week, after our regular classes. Besides that we in Environmental action are also watering our garden beds before and after class every day. Incidentally, the garden is doing really great. The garden bed that I share responsibility over has okra seeds, and we have healthy looking seedlings that are growing every day. It’s almost enough to make a person think they are good at this stuff. Almost.

The days are going by fast, and there is lots of talk about Swear-In (September 14th!) and buying the things we need for post with our Move-In Allowance, and life at post in those first three months before our in service training. People are really excited about getting back to their assigned villages. I have to admit that I am a little nervous that it is going to be a big adjustment. However, the practical training we have been getting is a big help. It’s encouraging to think that I could work on simple projects that could really help people. Here is a small example:

Over the past few weeks, our group of EA volunteers has met with some gardening groups in the area surrounding Porto Novo. This week we met with one group in particular and learned that they wanted to know more about natural pesticides. We were able to pretty easily look some things up in our ‘EA Toolkit’ Handbook, and present a lesson, complete with a demonstration. (Incidentally, making a tea by boiling strong smelling plants like garlic, chillis, even dry tobacco leaves, mixing that with soap for cohesion, and watering the leaves of your plants with that twice a day two days a week, makes for a very good natural pesticide. Who knew!) So in one run on sentence I was able to tell you what to do. However, working on this session made me realize that I have a lot of almost assumed advantages that many of these women don’t have. I speak one (or generously two) widely spoken, international languages. I can read and write. I have access to a computer with internet. I have money to travel to a library or book store. I know people who are very knowledgeable about agriculture and gardening. All of these things make it very easy for me to gain new information about gardening. Even though these women have been gardening for years, finding new methods and news solutions seems to continue to be a challenge.

Looking forward, it will be interesting to see how that changes. (It will also be interesting to see how my understanding of their available resources changes). I think the above illustration shows how important education is here and in other developing countries. Speaking a widely spoken language and being able to read and write is invaluable for improving your life, your family, your community, and your country. At the same time, it is mind bending to observe a culture that doesn’t have electricity, but does have cellphones. It’s crazy to watch teenage girls pound yams with a giant mortar and pestles, like people have been doing for thousands of years, and then text their friends about it. I suspect that cellphones are already changing information availability, and I think that will only increase with time.

Benin is on an interesting and exciting adventure, and I am glad to be on that adventure with it.

Thanks for reading! With Love,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment