Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Training after post visit


Hello everyone!

Yesterday (Tuesday) and today (Wednesday) we have been jumping right in to technical training. For EA volunteers this has meant starting a vegetable garden at Songhai and helping out a little with the compost piles in between lectures. I’ve got to say, it has me pretty excited. As I told Amber on Tuesday, when I woke up in the morning, I was thinking to myself, “Man, two years is a long time,” and then we had a lecture on food security and how 37% of infants are under nourished,  and I was like, “I will stay forever!” I was definitely over reacting there, but it was so good to be reminded of real problems that we can help with. After class I have been digging into the new literature we have been given, and I have lots of little ideas for projects I could do in Founougo. Everything from utilizing shower water for fruit trees, to possibly creating living fences that would help keep the goats out and be less work to maintain. It’s exciting.

I have also been thinking about a lot of application for back home. It’s hard not to apply what you are learning to the context you are most familiar with. I am curious how interested you guys would be in some of those ideas. I’ve been thinking a lot about the cool ways that people have found to cope with limited resources here. In the States we have so many resources that are over abundant, and that can make them easy to over use and abuse. I can think of several exercises to take a fresh look at things we take for granted in the States. Let me know if you are interested in hearing about some of those ideas.

I will continue to try to keep this blog primarily informative. I don’t want to use it as a soap box to spread my opinions and agenda. Sometimes giving my explicit opinion is part of informing you about my life, and I know that my opinion naturally is going to color all of what I write to some degree. Still I want you to know I want this blog to be somewhere you can swing by to learn about my life as a peace corps volunteer in West Africa. Not much more, not much less.

I hope you are enjoying the journey so far. I have to say that I am. Thanks for reading!
With love,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment