Thursday, June 28, 2012

Orientations


First full day in Benin! I have to say it’s been a really good day. Like I said before, it would be really easy to get stressed and overwhelmed worrying about how life is going to be with my host family, and how good I am going to be at picking things up during training, and of course, life at post. However, I have been choosing to just take life one day at a time, and just look at the challenge in the next hour.

This morning we had omelettes with green onions and parley along with bread, tea, and intant coffee. I pretty solid start to the day. After that we pretty much sat at desks in the small eent hall all day and got 5 different informational books (including the cook book!) and listened to information.  Besides the heat, and the siting we were all jetlagged, so that was a bit of a struggle. But I have to say I don’t think a single head hit the desk. The information was all important and pertinent. It really seems like everyone is motivated to be here.

We also got a snack break featuring insant coffee and croissants, and a lunch of rice and fish with a side of delicious fresh pineapple. So food has been pretty surprisingly great. They say not to get used to it, this isn’t exactly the low protein low fat diet I was promised, but I’m sure not complaining!

Happy Birthday to Kev and Mom! I hope you guys had an awesome birthday. I had to write the date on a lot of papers, and every time I was like “*buhuhuh* Mom and Kev’s birthday!” But I am glad that we got to go to Bucca and do presents before I left.

A couple of Logistics for when this gets posted. I am hoping and expecting that this is going to get posted on Thursday. After that, Friday we are going to meet up with our host families and be with them for the weekend. So, o be honest, I don’t know when the next time I will have internet will be. It’s possible that I could have it over the weekend, or at the beginning of the week when we start language classes… I’m not really sure. I hope we can all just take it one day at a time. For the time being, I’m going to try to write blog posts every day and save them up until I get the chance to post them. So, you will be hearing from me everyday (if we want to), it’ll just be a couple days in between the days.

I am not sure what else for now. I know this experience is going to be a little bit of everything, but for now, it’s really great. I’m really happy to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment