Friday, November 15, 2013

Es Novembre


Hello Everyone!

Time is marching on here in Benin as we head towards thanksgiving. I hope everything is going well for all of you back home.

I’ve been getting to enjoy some time at post after a good amount of traveling around the country for training sessions, mid service medical, and camps. It’s good to be feeling settled in post, and to be getting down to work on my projects! Latrine construction is moving along very nicely. I am happy to report that there is not much to report there.

I have also been investing some time in an Environment Club at the secondary school. I feel like I learned from the trials of last year, and this year is going really well! One week we did tree identification and learned the scientific names and origins of common trees. Another week we learned about fuel efficient mud stoves (hopefully we will be building two tomorrow)! This week we studied soil types. I brought bags of sand, silt, and clay to class and we practiced different methods of testing the soil. After getting the basics down we were able to scout around the court yard for a good place for our garden next semester. That was educational for me too!

I got the clay sample from the ditches by the flooded road that I cross to get into town. This lead to a moment where I realized people were staring at me, and I almost wanted to say, “What? Haven’t you ever seen a white person digging up clay for an environment club before??” I guess they probably hadn’t…

The kids in my housing compound are back at school, but they still want to cook and cake when they can. I’m a little burnt out on it, but every once in a while I have to indulge them. The last two times we made a chocolate cake that was really great and required no eggs! We were all happy campers.

Besides the latrine construction project and the environment club, the third thing that is taking up my time is the English Radio Show that I do with Camille. It’s been a lot of fun, but power fluctuations at the radio station have been giving me grief. I haven’t been able to charge my laptop (and therefore record the show) a few times now. Fortunately I am currently charging the laptop in Banikoara, the closest town. I am looking at different plans for the future, but for now it is a little stressful. Still, tomorrow or the next day, Camille and I should be able to finish I Thanksgiving episode!

That’s the news from Benin for this week. Again, I hope you are all doing well, and as always, thanks for sharing in this adventure with me!

With love,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment