Saturday, April 20, 2013

Boston Marathon and In Service Training


Hi everyone,

Wow, what a week it’s been. It’s inconceivable that only a week ago I was visiting in America. The incidents in Boston were very sad, and in many ways hard to hear about. I am so grateful to know that my friends and family are safe, (and that I was able to be in touch with them during this time!) and very grateful to the Boston police officers and other officials that handled the situation so well. Being away from home during this time was stressful. I am not sure what else to say. I am glad that we can now deal with the aftermath. I am proud to be from Boston.

In Service training was certainly affected by the news coming in from Boston. We all tried to share information. It was kind of crazy how quickly people were able to get in touch with each other to share news.

The training itself was good. There was a lot technical information on animal raising, latrines, Malaria, hygiene, etc. that I was very excited about. It’s great to catch up with other volunteers and visit with them a bit. It has been the good adjustment I hoped for getting back into Benin. I was nervous about how it would be, jumping back into life here. However, when I got my moto helmet back on and jumped on my first zem, I had a moment of, “yeah, alright. I’m back. Let’s do this.” Though I will say it was a day or so before I traded the sneakers for sandals, accepting the dusty feet that are a part of life here.

Tomorrow, if all goes according to plan, I will get to finally get back into my house in Founougo and see my cat. I am excited to get back there, to see little Jack (who is doing well!) to unpack my stuff, and settle down a little.

As always, thanks for reading!
With love,
Lauren  

No comments:

Post a Comment