Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Hot Season Cometh


Hello Everyone,

Things are heating up in Founougo, and that is not only because project work is getting under way. The ‘Chaleur’ or the hot season is starting, and it is a big adjustment! Here in Northern Benin there is the rainy season from May to October and the dry season the rest of the year. The first half of the dry season is cool, and I actually wanted my fleece jacket on a lot of mornings. Those days are over. The other morning I woke up and stepped outside and at 7:30 it was already 90 degrees! And it’s going to get a little worse before it gets better. Cold drinks are going to be my best friend for the next couple weeks!

Fortunately, having some good work to do does take your mind off of the heat, or give you a reason to persevere it. Last week I had a ‘consequence assessment’ meeting with a couple latrine committee members that provided an interesting communication challenge. It became evident that I spoke French, Baron-my-counterpart spoke French and Dendi, the third meeting member spoke Dendi and Bariba, and the fourth spoke Bariba. This resulted in a weird translation telephone, as a question and answer circulated through the room, switching from one language to another. God only knows what we lost in translation, but we all tried to be attentive and clear, and the meeting was helpful.

In other news, I have become acquainted with a gardening group that has a fenced in space close to the flooded road. They actually were kind enough to give me a small plot of my own, and I have planted some carrots (fingers crossed that they grow!!). The first few days of preparing the soil, planting the seeds and watering were really a joy. It was so good to be doing some hands on work, and to be working alongside my neighbors. At one point I was waiting around at the garden, and I got to pull water up from the well for women who were watering their plots. The well at the garden is much smaller than the one at my house, so it felt like an easy way to help. It was so nice to really feel like I was being of assistance in an immediate way, and it was refreshing to, for once, have the other person in the conversation be the one trying to find a new way to say thank you every time they come back for more water. Finally the plots were watered and it was time to wash off our hands and feet. People do really try to stay clean, quite an uphill battle here. I was trying to rinse off my feet and one grandmother was ‘helpfully’ pointing out spots I missed. This is very normal here. Women have each other’s back, and aren’t shy about letting you know when something needs to be adjusted. However, before I knew it, the old gardener was actually helping me wash my feet, and then washing them for me. And suddenly I was back on my familiar side of the equation, receiving so much more than I could give. All I could do was laugh and be grateful and try to joke in Bariba, ‘She is the mom and I am the little kid!’

Since the seeds have been planted I have gradually relinquished gardening duty to some little kids that were very determined to help. Despite the feet-washing anecdote above, it can sometimes be tough to know when it’s rude to refuse help, and when it’s good to assert your American independence. I have been more and more grateful to those determined little kids though, because I have spent the last couple days traveling. I am happy to say that I am in the process of applying for the grant for the latrine project. This has required some meetings with my supervisor in Banikoara and more Internet and electricity than I can usually find in Founougo. I have to say, it has been a pretty ideal time to be in the land of cold drinks!

I hope everything is well with you as you are reading this. I understand that there has been some snow in New England. I hope you are all staying safe, and finding some time to enjoy the season.

Thanks for reading!
With love,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment